Saturday, September 04, 2004

Elizabeth's wedding

Went to Iain and Elizabeth's(my cousin) wedding in London today. The weather was a balmy 28 degrees give or take, so wandering around Barnes I encountered many topless people. I was warned that at the first sign of a warm sun the English like to make sure their skin sees it. Unfortunately though it only seems to be a male thing.

The wedding was quite nice in a church which had been partly restored from its Gothic/Ancient shell. The actual ceremony was in a small elcove which was mostly original old stone. I also saw my other cousin, Samantha, who I hadn't seen since I was 14, we think! Luckily we both recognised each other straight away.

Elizabeth Elizabeth and Iain Elizabeth and Iain The gardens outside the church

Samantha(3rd from right), Uncle Ken, Auntie Caroline, Iain, Iain's Dad and Iain's Mum Samantha(3rd from right), Uncle Ken, Auntie Caroline, Iain, Iain's Dad and Iain's Mum Samantha, Auntie Caroline, Iain, Uncle Ken Uncle Ken & Auntie Caroline

Samantha and Darren Elizabeth and two school friends. The one on the right it a News reader of some sort for Channel 10 in Sydney(incase you recognise her!) Uncle Ken, Elizabeth and Auntie Caroline I'm sure you know by now

The confetti'ing More confetti'ing And more still... The couple in the car

And the car again Driving down the road in Barnes

After the wedding I drove into Hyde park and wandered around there before heading to the river Thames, past Big Ben and the London eye(big wheel thing that's like a ferris wheel only bigger). I still think London has a sort of air about it that no other city has. Especially on a totally cloudless warm night.

The buildings are big, the cars are big, wide roads, it does have a lot of charm. I was wandering along looking at some of the apartments on either side of the road wondering what sort of people lived there. After seeing the prices for places in Barnes(up to A$300,000 a year) I shudder to think what rent would be like in some of these.

Queenie's House Queenie's House closer A statue thing outside her house Big Ben and a blurry Bus

Big Ben up close The London Eye and the Thames Yep, that's a building and Big Ben And yet again, Big Ben with some people in it this time

Movie of the London skyline(1mb)

Me! Big Ben was supposed to be in the background.  And I wasn't supposed to look as stunned The London Eye again Big Ben and a streetlight A sign for the Underground, above ground


No comments: